Friday, August 29, 2008

Hummingbirds and magic

Life is amazing and magical if you choose to see it that way. I have been on this journey and have been asking to see the magic. And when you ask, if you ask with an open expectant heart, I believe the universe delivers.

I have been a bit fascinated with hummingbirds for the past 5 months or so. I don't know why. They just seem to be in my mind. My friend has a feeder on her deck and awhile back as we sat outside, what should fly up but a hummer not 3 feet from me. He seemed satisfied we weren't going to hurt him and I was transfixed watching him. It made my heart sore to see that little dude. So petite and cute. Just amazing creatures.

Then I noticed we had a feeder hanging from a tree. A remnant from previous owners. I took a closer look, though, and it was broken. Not usable. I kept thinking, "you have to get a feeder, Laura. Remember to get a feeder." But I kept forgetting. I even told my husband, "Please help me remember to get a feeder. I want a hummingbird feeder." Never happened.

Just recently, I was drawn to some very wonderful people, Terry and Blair at doe dreamers.com . They do healing work and clearing work for people and so I went to see them for some of their "magic." Well, before the visit we talked on the phone setting up a time for me to come by. Terry exclaimed to Blair, "Look at that hummer coming right up to the window! He never comes to the window. Laura, there's some message in that for you." I was, needless to say, floored. I laughed and told them how I have been attracted to the hummingbird for some reason, so yes, it must be some other-wordly message. But what.

When I went to see Terry and Blair, Blair did a wonderful feather clearing and Terry performed a Mayan Spiritual Bath on me. Both experiences were amazing and I felt better than I had in awhile. But as I was outside gently being sprinkled with blessed water and herbs by Terry, my hummer friend visited. Right there at a feeder next to me. I could hardly contain myself. I wanted to rush out and get a feeder. And so I did. I was still wet and probably looked like a drowned cat, but straight into Walmart I went. Right to the feeders.

When I got home, I went straight to my trusty computer to Google hummingbirds and what their meaning was as animal totems. Meaning: It is joy. They teach you to open your heart and let in the joy around you. They show you how to go backwards and take quick trips into your past and quick trips into your future, but never lingering too long on either. They teach you to enjoy the sweetness of life. Drink in its nectar. The message resonated loud and clear with me. I have been asking for joy. To be lighter, less burdened with seriousness and not wallowing in past or fearing future. Well that was the ticket.

I hung up my feeder. And within hours, amazingly enough (see how often I am using this word in my entry?) here comes 2 hummers. Just as cute and sweet as could be. My husband, myself and a friend were on the porch when the little ones decided to visit. They chirped and zoomed around and hung in the air checking us out. At one point, I literally felt as if the birds were saying, "Look here. We are here for you. You have called us and we are here."

Not a single day has gone by since then when I haven't gone out to the porch to be with those messengers and feel their joy in my heart. I forget about work, life, everything for a few moments and let well-being flood into me.

I have decided my next move is to try to get one to sit on my finger. I will let you know how it goes.

Hummer season is almost over, as they migrate South in winter. But I encourage you to hang up a feeder next May. And let a little hummer joy and magic into your life. We have so much to learn and gain from nature if we simply let it in. Is a hummer out there looking for you? If you are reading this post, then I say, quite probably, yes.

[To make hummer syrup, DO NOT use red food coloring. Mix 1 part white sugar (don't use any other kind as it can be harmful, including raw sugar) with 4 parts water. I heat my water and stir in sugar until it dissolves. When it cools, pour it in your feeder. When the mixture gets cloudy, it's time to change the food. Please go online and read more about how to feed and care for hummers.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is fascinating. I will be sure to buy my feeder next year as I think we could all use a little joy wherever we can get it!

I still have a yard full of crows - sometimes so many it's unbelievable... I imagine people might think it's my 50th birthday and I'm being punked! HA

Glad you're feeling better and better with each day! :-)